I am an Assistant Professor of International Finance at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. My main fields of research are International Finance, Financial Economics and Empirical Banking. I have a special interest on financial intermediaries and how they affect international capital flows and economic activity. More specifically, I have been working on how the use of well-known benchmark indexes by financial intermediaries affects both financial markets and real economic activity.
More personally, I grew up in Buenos Aires, and studied economics at Universidad del CEMA. Afterwards, I moved to Barcelona and completed the Msc. in Economics at Barcelona GSE. Later on, I received my Ph.D. in Economics and Finance from Universitat Pompeu Fabra. I also spent one year as a visiting doctoral student in the Financial Markets Group (FMG) at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- “Capital Flows and Sovereign Debt Markets: Evidence from Index Rebalancings”, with Lorenzo Pandolfi, 2018, forthcoming at the Journal of Financial Economics.
- “Capital Inflows, Sovereign Debt and Bank Lending: Micro-Evidence from an Emerging Market”, 2018, Review of Financial Studies, vol. 31 (12), pp. 4958-4994.
- “International Asset Allocations and Capital Flows: The Benchmark Effect”, with Claudio Raddatz and Sergio Schmukler, 2017, Journal of International Economics, vol. 108, pp. 413-430.
- “Benchmarking and the Global Financial Cycle”, with Nathan Converse and Eduardo Levy Yeyati.
- “Capital Inflows to Sovereign Debt Markets and Consequences for Firms: Evidence from the Stock Market”, with Lorenzo Pandolfi.
- “Drug Money and Bank Lending: The Unintended Consequences of Anti-Money Laundering Policies”, with Pablo Slutzky and Mauricio Villamizar-Villegas.
- “Firm Financing and Benchmark Indexes”, with Fernando Broner, Juan Jose Cortina Lorente and Sergio Schmukler.
- “The Search for Yield and the Size Premium in Emerging Market Corporate Debt”, with Charles Calomiris, Mauricio Larrain and Sergio Schmukler.
- “The Impact of Benchmark Investing by Institutional Investors on International Capital Allocations”, with Claudio Raddatz and Sergio Schmukler, Proceedings of the Sixth BIS/World Bank/Bank of Canada Public Investors’ Conference, 2018.
- “Financial Globalization in Latin America and the Caribbean: Myth, Reality, and Policy Matters”, with Eduardo Levy Yeyati, Emerging Issues in Financial Development: Lessons from Latin America, edited by Tatiana Didier and Sergio Schmukler.